Is December a good time to visit the Smoky Mountains?
The best thing about visiting Great Smoky Mountains in winter is the lack of crowd, and the opportunity to experience solitude. Most of the park’s 11 million visitors go in the summer, so the winter is much more quiet. The best chance for peace and solitude is when you take a hike.
What is there to do in the Smoky Mountains in the winter?
10 Great Winter Things to Do in the Smoky Mountains
- Winter hiking in the Park.
- Cades Cove in the Winter.
- Winterfest Driving Tour of Lights.
- National Park Waterfalls.
- The Incredible Christmas Place.
- Smoky Mountain Opry.
- A gourmet meal with snowfall viewing.
- Ober Gatlinburg.
Where are the bears in Gatlinburg in December?
The Best Places to See Bears in Gatlinburg
- Cades Cove. Cades Cove is the number one spot for wildlife viewing in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.
- Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail. The Roaring Fork Motor Nature Trail is another one of the best places to see bears in Gatlinburg.
- Ober Gatlinburg Wildlife Encounter.
What is open in Gatlinburg in winter?
15 Awesome Winter Things To Do in Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg
- Experience the Winterfest Lights.
- Winter Hikes in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park.
- Take a Guided Tour Through the Smokies.
- Winter-time Shopping.
- Explore the Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community.
- Visit an Amazing Museum Attraction.
What clothes to pack for Gatlinburg in December?
Layers are the most important thing to remember when wondering what to wear in Gatlinburg in December, January and February….Our favorite layering items include:
- Thermal underwear.
- Solid color short-sleeved shirts.
- Light jacket.
- Winter coat.
Is Gatlinburg busy in December?
Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are busy during the holidays, leaving the Parkway congested. If traffic is slow in town, enjoy the LED light displays that will surely brighten the trip! Roads can also become icy at times, so make sure you are well prepared for local weather conditions.
Should I go to Gatlinburg in January?
January is a peaceful time to visit the Smoky Mountains and the surrounding areas of Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville in Tennessee. Especially after the New Year and Christmas crowds have dissipated.
Is Gatlinburg Nice in January?
Gatlinburg can be quite cold during the month of January, but here are the average seasonal temperatures: Average High is 45°F. Average Low is 34°F.
Do Smoky Mountain bears hibernate?
Bears in the Smokies are unusual in that they often den high above the ground in standing hollow trees. Bears do not truly hibernate, but enter long periods of sleep. They may leave the den for short periods if disturbed or during brief warming trends.
Can you see bears in Cades Cove in December?
4. Re: Cades Cove and wildlife – in December? We have not seen bears in Winter, but there are usually critters around, such as the deer, and wild turkeys mentioned above.
What can you do in Tennessee in winter?
Budget-Friendly Nashville Winter Bucket List
- Downtown Nashville.
- Ice Skating.
- Make Your Escape (Game)
- Fort Fun.
- Island Mirror Maze.
- Ski at Ober Gatlinburg.
- Dollywood Smoky Mountain Christmas.
- Rock City’s Enchanted Garden of Lights.
Why visit Gatlinburg in the winter?
Gatlinburg is a city known for its charm and beauty, and winter is no exception. From magical holiday traditions to pristine skiing slopes, Gatlinburg offers plenty of ways to delight in the season’s best activities.
What to do in Gatlinburg for Christmas?
These fantastic light displays are part of Gatlinburg’s Winter Magic Festival, a celebration of Christmas and the winter season. You can always tour the lights yourself, or you could hop on the guided Trolley Ride of Lights Tour. No matter how you see the lights, you’re in for a real treat!
What to wear in Gatlinburg in the winter?
Winters in Gatlinburg can sometimes be rather mild, but winter storms often bring below freezing temperatures and snowfall. Needless to say, you’ll want to check the weather forecast while planning your trip. It’s usually a good idea to bring a variety of clothing layers that you can shed or add as needed. 2. A Chance Of Snow
When is the best time of year to visit Ober Gatlinburg?
Winter is the perfect time to visit Tennessee’s only ski mountain. Though Ober Gatlinburg has plenty of year-round attractions, it’s well worth visiting the ski lodge while the slopes are covered in snow. If you plan on visiting Ober Gatlinburg during Gatlinburg’s snowy season, you can enjoy: